Pages

Wednesday

Quotes About Ash Wednesday

What is Ash Wednesday?? Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent. It is 46 days before Easter. I'm taking a little time today to think about my life.
At one time I smoked, but in 1959 I couldn't think of anything else to give up for Lent so I stopped-and I haven't had a cigarette since.
Ethel Merman

Ash Wednesday is for people who know that it means for their soul to be logged with these icy waters: all of us are such people, if only we can realize it.
There is confidence everywhere in Ash Wednesday, yet that does not mean unmixed and untroubled security. The confidence of the Christian is always a confidence in spite of darkness and risk, in the presence of peril, with every evidence of possible disaster… Once again, Lent is not just a time for squaring conscious accounts: but for realizing what we had perhaps not seen before. The light of Lent is given us to help us with this realization. Nevertheless, the liturgy of Ash Wednesday is not focussed on the sinfulness of the penitent but on the mercy of God. The question of sinfulness is raised precisely because this is a day of mercy, and the just do not need a savior.”
Thomas Merton


I had heard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.
Job 42:5-6

On this Ash Wednesday let's make our first sacrifice of turning over to The Lord every anxiety and fear.
Unknown

In the Roman Catholic Church, by centuries-old tradition Lent begins on Ash Wednesday, this year falling on March 1. Ashes symbolize penitence and the frailty of human life.
Igor Kovalevsky

Success isn't measured by what you achieve, it's measured by the obstacles you overcome.
Ethan Hawke


My grandmother took me to church on Sunday all day long, every Sunday into the night. Then Monday evening was the missionary meeting. Tuesday evening was usher board meeting. Wednesday evening was prayer meeting. Thursday evening was visit the sick. Friday evening was choir practice. I mean, and at all those gatherings, we sang.
Maya Angelou