Pages

Saturday

Quotes about Pumpkin Pies

I honestly thought that I would find oodles and quotes about pumpkin pie! I grew up eating pumpkin pie at every Thanksgiving and I grew up in Canada! There are fewer of us up there and I thought that when I moved south, there would be even more people salivating at the thought of a nice big piece of pumpkin pie. Luckily or unluckily?? I'm the only one in my family who likes it.  At our latest Thanksgiving, only my daughter-i-law and I ate it. Even her mother didn't like it?? Anyway, perhaps that was why I had so much trouble finding quotes about pumpkin pies. There are lots about pies in general, but very few about pumpkin pies. Guess I should think up a few ;)


"Pumpkin pie, if rightly made, is a thing of beauty and a joy - while it lasts.....Pies that cut a little less firm than a pine board, and those that run round your plate are alike to be avoided. Two inches deep is better than the thin plasters one sometimes sees, that look for all he world like pumpkin flap-jacks. The expressive phrase, 'too thin', must have come from these lean parodies on pumpkin pie. With pastry light, tender, and not too rich, and a generous filling of smooth spiced sweetness - a little 'trembly' as to consistency, and delicately brown on top - a perfect pumpkin pie, eaten before the life has gone out of it, is one of the real additions made by American cookery to the good things of the world. For the first pumpkin pie of the season, flanked by a liberal cut of creamy cheeses, we prefer to sit down, as the French gourmand said about his turkey: 'with just two of us; myself and the turkey.'"

‘The House Mother’

“Cut my pie into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight.”
  Yogi Berra

Instead of doing cinnamon, nutmeg, and all those baking spices I'll have one spice that's for sweets, and that's pumpkin pie spice

 Sandra Lee 

I always thought that it was sad that I was the only one in the house who liked pumpkin pie! What was I thinking? This year, I bought one anyway and didn't have to share!! I ate the whole pie myself... it took me a long time because I'm diabetic, but it was ALLLLL MINE!

We fancy men are individuals; so are pumpkins; but every pumpkin in the field, goes through every point of pumpkin history.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

“We ought to make the pie higher.”
George W. Bush

“America has developed a pie tradition unequivocally and unapologetically at the sweet end of the scale, and at no time is this better demonstrated than at Thanksgiving.”
― Janet Clarkson,

Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.
Jim Davis